Tuesday, July 5, 2011

OFF THE RECORDS - Erasure's Andy Bell selects 13 favourite records of his life

During the 1980s, Mute was a remarkable Janus of a record label, looking on one side towards the electronic experimentation in releases via Diamanda Galas, Einsturzende Neubauten, NON and Laibach, and on the other to the furthering of synthpop via Erasure and Depeche Mode. Erasure, though, were never mere two-dimensional synth chart toppers - instead, their history is full not only of sublime catchy one-off singles like 'Who Needs Love Like That?', 'Ship Of Fools' and 'Love To Hate You', but terrific albums (especially The Innocents, Wonderland and The Circus, and camp, theatrical stage performances that were a high water mark in 80s pop's fight against that decade's conservatism. It's no surprise, then, that Andy Bell's Baker's Dozen selection is a list of very classy pop stretching from post punk (Blondie, Talking Heads, Siouxie & The Banshees), electronic pioneers (The Human League, Japan, Yazoo), including Lene Lovich, Donna Summer, Kirsty MacColl and Kate Bush, before coming up to date with Ladytron and Miss Kittin & The Hacker. Hit the image below to explore Andy Bell's choices, and his reasons for the selections.

Blondie - Plastic Letters
Already their second studio album, they had scored hit singles with 'Denis Denis' (I first heard that on my Grandad's window cleaning round) and the sublime 'I'm Always Touched By Your (Presence Dear)', still one of my favourites to this very day. As a whole album, it sounds like a spy movie soundtrack with 'Contact In Red Square' and 'Kidnapper'. Highlights for me include 'I'm On E' and 'Love At The Pier'. The very definition of late 70s New York pop art and punk glamour; Deborah Harry, for me, will remain forever the Queen of New Wave.

Lene Lovich - Flex
I became an instant fan of Lene's after the quirky chart hits 'Lucky Number' and 'Say When', I quickly became a fan of the Stiff Label's Roster through Lene and Madness and Kirsty MacColl. This was her second studio album, completely bonkers but as soon as I heard ‘Bird Song’ on the radio I rushed out to buy the 12 inch and subsequently the EP 'You Can't Kill Me' and the album flex. 'Angels', the second single, reminds me of Del Shannon's 'Run Away' and I remember reading that the weird album cover was shot inside a vat at the Guinness factory; I suppose it could be described as a Buddhist album. We were later on to meet and collaborate with Lene on don't 'Kill The Animal's', a song for PETA.

Siouxsie and the Banshees - Kaleidoscope
I had been a rather reluctant punk as a teenager, finding the whole movement too aggressive for a Peterborough gay boy, so this I suppose more commercial offering from Siouxsie was much more up my street - and consequently, as with all my favourite teen angst albums, I learnt all of the songs inside out and backwards. Siouxsie has an incredible voice and was one of my first live concerts, alongside Joe Jackson. We were later to bump into her at Sire Records in NYC but I was too nervous and shy too say 'Hi'.

Talking Heads - Remain In Light
The likes of which I had never heard before - white soul boy funk - it was a great album for a party soundtrack and hash joints. I just love the mad percussion and pseudo African backing vocals, though I don't have a clue what Mr. Byrne is singing about.

The B-52s - The B-52s
Obviously we gravitate to those we love, and I suppose the B52's did all the groundwork for the campy disco rock a la Scissor Sisters that followed decades later. They are true originals and may have been the soundtrack to a John Water's movie. I lost count of the amount of times I danced to ‘Rock Lobster’ and tried to learn the who's who list of names on 52 Girls. The brilliant thing about being a pop musician is that you get to meet all of your teen idols. We toured with The B52's and I stayed in Woodstook at Kate Pierson's Lazy Meadow's Silver-line Caravan site, where I consequently felt the drums of an Indian pow wow coming up through the water of the river through my feet (which I often hear on the intro to ‘A Little Respect’ but it isn’t actually part of the music… spooky!).

Kate Bush - This Woman's Work Volume One
Part of a deluxe boxed set of Kate's work right up until Experiment IV, the woman is an absolute genius and I just love this collection of B-sides, Christmas singles etc. 'Under The Ivy' and 'The Empty Bullrin'’ just break my heart. I love Kate's vocals laid bare, often better than the finished studio versions - just piano and her. Also, please check out the bootleg Cathy's Home Demos: it's staggering. It’s worth the price simply for ‘December Will Be Magic Again’ and ‘Lord Of The Reedy River’ (which I didn't realise was a Donovan song). I am haunted by Kate's opening line "I fell In Love With a Swan", that's where the swan bike for 'Phantasmagorical Entertainment' came from and, of course, 'Ride A White Swan' by Mr Bolan.

Kirsty MacColl - Kite
The most undersung songwriting genius ever in British pop. I had the privilege of hanging out with Kirtsy on a number of occasions and I have to say, she was the bomb. We usually got into trouble somewhere along the line. She couldn't understand why she wasn't more popular and nether could I, but this album kinds of explains it really. Songs like '15 Minutes'… she kinda knew that pop would eat itself, and she was too talented and beautiful for the fickle superficial pop world. 'Don't Come The Cowboy With Me Sonny Jim' needs to be covered by a mega country artist. The backing vocals on 'Dancing In Limbo' are sublime and 'Le Foret De Mimosa' makes me cry.

Ladytron - 604
Sounds like a post Chernobyl Fallout album very similar musically to early Lene & Pet Shops. I love 'The Way That I Found You', 'Commodore Rock' and 'Playgirl'. I don't know what it is about them but I love her voice and dead pan delivery - there's a hint of 60's Lynne Redgrave from Smashing Time & loads of mid 80's references. Which leads me neatly to...

The Human League - Dare
What a fucking record! If you hadn't been introduced to synthesisers via Kraftwerk or Soft Cell, then this was the album that would do it. This was another that became the soundtrack to my teenage life. Knew it inside out and what a relief that boys could finally wear makeup. There's not one dud track on here and the non-singles are best, except 'Love Action', which is pure class. The League are the reason that electronic music has been kept alive.

Miss Kittin & The Hacker - First Album
I first heard 'Frank Sinatra' when Erasure where recording the album Erasure in 1994 at the Strongroom in Shoreditch East London, which has now become metrosexual electro Grand Central. I love her completely nonchalant don't give a fuck attitude on Hollywood Star, it kind of reminds me of my pre-Erasure work with Pierre Cope - very minimal. On 'Frank Sinatra' she sounds like a Russian Mafia gangster that would kill you stone dead. They're also brilliant live.

Yazoo - Upstairs At Eric's
This is when I fell in love with the genius Mr. Clarke & Alison's amazing voice. I could see why they thought she was a black gospel singer in the Detroit/Chicago House clubs. 'I Before E Except After C' kinda fucks your head up, and it's very indicative of what it's like to work with Vince. 'Winter Kills' is bleak and heart bracingly sublime all at the same time.

Japan - Quiet Life
'Quiet Life' is one of the most beautiful tracks Giorgio Moroder ever created, and together with the voice of the uber-glamourous Dave Sylvian, is like heaven on a stick. The cover of 'All Tomorrow's Parties', dare I say, is better than the original.

Donna Summer - Once Upon A Time
Speaking of Giorgio Moroder, you have to give it to the guy. What a brilliant team, him and Donna. From the very opening 'Once Upon A Time’, this is a kind of a mini-musical and completely sums up the studio 54 NYC disco era in one fell swoop. This record could actually turn a straight man gay - especially the trilogy 'Now I Need You', 'Working The Midnight Shift' and 'Queen For A Day' It must have cost an absolute fortune to record with all the brass and string arrangements, but this is Donna at her absolute post 'I Feel Love' best. I wish I could have been a fly on the wall.

1 comment:

Memories fade

"Memories fade but the scars still linger, I cannot grow, I cannot move, I cannot fell my age, The vice like grip of tension holds me fast, Engulfed by you, What can I do, When history’s my cage... Look foward to a future in the past".